These bathroom safety tips can help you remain safe at home. Some bathroom safety improvements can be made easily while others may require the help of a professional.
- Install grab bars in the shower or bathtub to assist with getting in and out.
- Make sure that towel racks, toilet paper holders, and other wall attachments are securely fastened to the wall.
- Install a handheld adjustable showerhead for easier bathing.
- Make sure that towels are easily reached from the tub or shower. Toiletries should be near the sink or toilet depending on use.
- Apply nonskid materials to tub floor or shower stall.
- Consider a bath bench or shower seat in the tub for added comfort and safety while bathing.
- Consider an over the toilet commode or raised toilet seat to help with getting on and off the toilet.
- Remove cleaning products, decorations, and other non-essential items from the bathroom to reduce clutter.
- Keep medications and health aides in an uncluttered space so they can be easily located and identified.